Bree

It used to be a no-brainer.

I could pop into pretty much any shop or drugstore and easily find my Secret Solid. I'd usually opt for "powder fresh" ...until recently. (My daughter hugged me and told me that I reminded her of baby diapers.) In a perfect world wouldn't it be much nicer if my dear child associated something like lilacs or vanilla with me? Diapers?...no. (Although, it's better than what I associate with my own mother....onions)

Needless to say, I set out to Walgreens on a new and exciting quest. Little did I know that I would be faced with quite the challenge. Not only does one have to decide between solids, gels, sticks, sprays, crystals, and roll ons...but the scent choice? Let me name a few...Ooh-La-La-Lavender (that really IS the name), Fabulously Floral, Truth or Pear, Coco Butter Kiss, Cherry Mischief, Pretty N Peach, Pink Crush, Pop Star, Soft Breeze, Morning Clean, Pure Cashmere, Fresh Fusion, Lotus Glow, Fruity Melon, and Passion. And this isn't all of them. Not that the men get off so easy...with scents like Adrenaline, Pulse, Dark Temptation, Phoenix and Bullet.

So WHAT did I want to smell like?

Hmmm...well the Pretty N Peach was nice...but it reminded me of a Del Monte Fruit cup (I couldn't have my kids go thinking I smelled like their lunch snacks) Maybe the Lotus Glow? (No, with a name like that I feared radioactivity) How about Passion? (No, maybe that would have sparked a riot at the shops on senior citizens day..bad images of frisky old men)

I settled on Cherry Mischief...but immediately felt evil, as if when I wore it people might assume I was always up to no good. Thus I decided to play it simple and go with the Toms Of Maine Brand. (No, not the cucumber scent...I didnt want to smell like a salad) I went with the Lavender (Not the Ooh La La...just plain L A V E N D E R.)

It smelled pleasant enough, rather soothing really. Sadly though, I must say that even though the children praised my choice, I couldn't get past the strange stickiness the deodorant left me with. It felt as though someone had painted honey under my arms. ( I swear my blouse was fused to it)

I drove back to the drugstore, returning with something called lemon verbena...it somehow seemed familiar to me..but later I realized that I'd spent the rest of the day smelling like Lemon Pledge furniture polish.

Today I am gearing up to take a seasoned band of scientific experts (my children) out with me so we can best determine my signature scent. (And I haven't even told them about my plans for a new shampoo!)
7 Responses
  1. Unknown Says:

    Okay, so I have to reply, this really made me laugh! I work for Secret and I actually love my Ooh-La-La Lavender. I realize we have many versions, cause we do our best to give our ladies their favorites, but hate to hear it can cause confusion. I hope you'll try the Ooh-La-La next time, and let me know if you like it, it's just the right level of scent, and my kids sound just like yours and tell me when I need to make changes! (you should hear the comments about my jeans, ha skinny jeans, never on this Mom's body!) Keep the posts coming, I hope you don't mind if I stop by again! Thanks and have a great day, Michelle


  2. Bree Says:

    Man, I guess Toms Of Maine was the wrong lavender. Ooh-La La might have been my choice if I would have been able to pry off the little protective plastic cover or sniff around it easier lol. Stern glances from the pharmacist across the aisle frightened me into making a poor choice....that's it..Im blaming him. :D I was clearly rushed (and possibly lightheaded due a mixture of deodorant scents and aerosols) Michelle, you must forgive the error of my ways. Besides, I haven't found anything suitable to replace my baby diaper scent yet. One child prefers me fruity, the other, flowery. (My husband just prefers that I stop filling the bathroom counter with sticks and cans) I shall try Secret's Ooh La La next! Please do stop by again...I appreciate you taking the time to read and respond. All the best, Bree


  3. Unknown Says:

    Bree,

    I totally get the counter thing, my husband is the same way, he has even tried hiding my stuff in the cabinet, thinking I wouldn't notice, HA! Can't wait to see your update when you try it! Have a great rest of your weekend... Michelle


  4. Bree Says:

    Michelle, No Ooh Laa Laa in stock..but I did come home with "Rockstar Rose" (I'm not certain if it improved my karaoke, but it does smell quite nice)


  5. Unknown Says:

    Bree, Oh bummer, sorry about that, need to get on that store manager! And unfortunately, I am the worse person to talk to about becoming a "Rockstar", heck my kids beg me not to sing (trust me, they are right!), I am sure you will be happy with the scent, and would love to hear back from you either way! Michelle


  6. Bree Says:

    Michelle...I have returned this week with the prized Ooh la la Lavender! Indeed it is quite pleasant, yet I do not smell lavender (I had the girls sniff it too..would not have guessed it as lavender)...which is fine in this case because whatever the smell..I like it!


  7. Unknown Says:

    Bree,

    Hooray! I'm so glad you found it! I just love how light and fresh it smells...my daughter loves it too, but she's in college and when Mom buys, she is always happy!
    Enjoy!
    Michelle