Bree

What is it about the mind? The body ages a bit... slumps, sags, stretches..but the mind pays absolutely no attention. Case in point: I clearly recall a family barbecue after one of my childhood gymnastics programs long ago. (I was about 10) While we kids did various flips and leaps, my mother was out in our front yard glowing like a banana in some form of hideous jumpsuit, waving her arms, raising her voice, and insisting to my father across the lawn, "Why honey, I can most certainly still do a cartwheel and back bend"

And at this point I realized that there would be no stopping her.

It was like playing one of those slow motion movies; me, jumping a thorny row of evergreens (risking wounds and scrapes over total embarrassment in front of my friends) in a desperate attempt to tackle my mother at the knees; my sister, tossing a plate of potato salad over her head onto Brutus (the dog) while reaching out to grab Mom's arm (only to hook the side of Mom's hairpiece); and Dad, breaking into somewhat of a goofy man jog (making a slight detour across the kiddie pool) anxiously trying to reach his wife in hopes that she would not tumble down the sloped drive.

But Mom was determined...and quick. Her form spun like a yellow blur, a sideways lunge..planting her hands firmly into the grass, her feet kicking high over her head, a slight rotation..and then...a miscalculation, a slight bend in one elbow, one leg flailing to the left..while the other seemed intent on finding solid earth. Her lopsided hairpiece skidded off her head, looking like a strewn birdsnest. One white sandal flew off and over into the cooler while children ducked and neighbors gaped.

After a roll and solid thud Mom landed flat on her back, a bit dazed but smiling. She looked up at my dad and said, "I told you I could do it."

A few weeks ago my youngest had a gymnastics event. My own specialty used to be the uneven bars. I watched as my child circled the bars, twisting, flipping down, rolling, and dismounting with ease. I remembered the moves, the grip, the feeling of weightlessness in leaping from one bar to the other....and it got me to thinking.

I can do that!

Of course I wasn't willing to put on a show, but when I got home..later when no one was around.. I stealthily slipped into my sons gym area for a quick pull up or two.. or ten. I hung there, gripping that slippery, thick bar for a good while wondering why my arms had suddenly failed me. I thought if I could do ONE good pull up, the rest would follow. I grimaced, let out a few quick puffs of breath...and p u l l e d...and pulled. (and ending up pulling something in my shoulder) (Ssh, I told my husband that I just must have slept funny.)

I am no longer an athlete.

But ya know...the other day I was watching the neighborhood boys skateboarding...I used to be a real whiz on 4 wheels...I watched them leap and race down the hill...

I bet I can do THAT!

0 Responses